Ocean City
House: Hufflepuff

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Meditations, Marcus Aurelius

Post by scooter »

Haven't read this in a while, but I'm thinking of doing so again. Can't find my copy; might be upstairs.

The thing that sets this book apart is that he literally wrote it for himself - it was his own self-help book, so there isn't an attempt to say "marketable" things, as you might get in the modern day. What you get is the founding document of stoicism.
This has been another bit of brain shrapnel from...
SCOOTER :cool:
Professional Dilettante (reasonable rates) :thumb:
skramer@atlantic-computingREMOVETHIS.com

QotM: "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." – Hunter S. Thompson
ZandraJoi
Commander
Commander
United States of America

Re: Meditations, Marcus Aurelius

Post by ZandraJoi »

Sounds interesting! Searched & said he was a Roman Emperor 161–180 CE. Had ideas on Stoic philosophy. While I've never read any of his writings, that I know of anyways, the people back then were way smarter than we are now.
CrazyCraftLady
None of your business
House: Ravenclaw

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Lifestyle

Post by CrazyCraftLady »

ZandraJoi wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:01 am Sounds interesting! Searched & said he was a Roman Emperor 161–180 CE. Had ideas on Stoic philosophy. While I've never read any of his writings, that I know of anyways, the people back then were way smarter than we are now.
I'm not impressed by the idea of the 'wandering womb', and there were some other really doozies of idiocy.
‘Meow’ says the knitter. :twisted:
scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City
House: Hufflepuff

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

CrazyCraftLady wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:12 pm
ZandraJoi wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:01 am Sounds interesting! Searched & said he was a Roman Emperor 161–180 CE. Had ideas on Stoic philosophy. While I've never read any of his writings, that I know of anyways, the people back then were way smarter than we are now.
I'm not impressed by the idea of the 'wandering womb', and there were some other really doozies of idiocy.
Well, yeah, but that's hardly a hallmark of the Stoic philosophy.

I'm not certain I consider myself a Stoic in the classic sense, although I really like the book. There's a very developed sense of honor as an objective trait which I'm not sure I subscribe to, at least to the same degree as Marcus Aurelius.
This has been another bit of brain shrapnel from...
SCOOTER :cool:
Professional Dilettante (reasonable rates) :thumb:
skramer@atlantic-computingREMOVETHIS.com

QotM: "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." – Hunter S. Thompson