Got a computer donated from a friend

Lots of memory but no imagination
Saturn
Klingon Empire

Got a computer donated from a friend

Post by Saturn »

I got myself another old(ish) computer, donated by a friend who doesn't want it anymore.

It's an AcerPower FH from 2007, running Windows XP. Runs great, but it needs a hard drive replacement because I can tell it's starting to fail (random BSODs which havent happened since I replaced it) and it has 2000 days of operation (apparently it ran a quarter of a factory 24/7 for most of its life).

I have already replaced the hard drive, but I'm waiting for a DVD to arrive with the Acer eRecovery tools. (I've installed stock XP while waiting for this)

I've fully updated it, applied POSReady updates (updates until 2019), not much left to do until the DVD arrives. Interestingly, the computer did not come with a Wi-Fi adapter, so I needed to get a USB dongle.
Not employed by or otherwise associated with Atlantic Computing Services.

Last.fm | 0xAB59A4BBF8AFF69C | Mastodon-compatible ActivityPub instance (Boardwalk members welcomed)

In everything you do here please remember there is a real person on the other side. Never assume malicious intent when a lack of knowledge will explain the situation.
scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City
House: Hufflepuff

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Re: Got a computer donated from a friend

Post by scooter »

Siguza wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:34 am
I have already replaced the hard drive, but I'm waiting for a DVD to arrive with the Acer eRecovery tools. (I've installed stock XP while waiting for this)

I've fully updated it, applied POSReady updates (updates until 2019), not much left to do until the DVD arrives. Interestingly, the computer did not come with a Wi-Fi adapter, so I needed to get a USB dongle.
Old machines like that can be fun to tinker with.

eRecovery shouldn't be needed for a new HD, I don't think, unless there's something in the BIOS that is being looked for, and any USB Wi-Fi should work okay as well once the driver is in place.
This has been another bit of brain shrapnel from...
SCOOTER :cool:
Professional Dilettante (reasonable rates) :thumb:
skramer@atlantic-computingREMOVETHIS.com

QotM: "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." – Hunter S. Thompson
Saturn
Klingon Empire

Post by Saturn »

The old hard drive has the tools to burn the recovery disk. The DVDs have arrived so I’ll put the one one in and burn it in the near future when I have the time. Will post later :D

Last.fm | 0xAB59A4BBF8AFF69C | Mastodon-compatible ActivityPub instance (Boardwalk members welcomed)

In everything you do here please remember there is a real person on the other side. Never assume malicious intent when a lack of knowledge will explain the situation.
Saturn
Klingon Empire

Post by Saturn »

Oh, quick update:

This computer died last year. After trying to replace a CPU and it not turning on, I put the old one back in. Booted fine and stayed on for a period of time before suddenly turning off and never POSTing again.

scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City
House: Hufflepuff

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

Siguza wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:28 am Oh, quick update:

This computer died last year. After trying to replace a CPU and it not turning on, I put the old one back in. Booted fine and stayed on for a period of time before suddenly turning off and never POSTing again.
Ah, well. Good effort, anyway...
This has been another bit of brain shrapnel from...
SCOOTER :cool:
Professional Dilettante (reasonable rates) :thumb:
skramer@atlantic-computingREMOVETHIS.com

QotM: "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." – Hunter S. Thompson
Saturn
Klingon Empire

Post by Saturn »

Yeah. Was certainly a fun project.
Photos