House: Hufflepuff

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Attracting members

Post by scooter »

So I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, they are pretty much exactly what I want these forums to be. They cover a large number of forums or topics, they're well-established, they've got thousands of users...they're providing an alternative to the social media giants out there (and so many posts on those giants are dedicated to pointing out the many problems that they have). All the forums seem to be getting regular or semi-regular traffic.

On the other hand, they seem to have a problem with spam and just generally lunk-headed users...a perusal of some topics like medicine and football reveals a few racists, quite a few ranters who can't spell correctly, and some goofy, single-issue ones who punctuate EVERYTHING they SAY in ALL CAPS and overuse EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!! :roll:

I've been toying with the idea of just deleting everything because only a few people are on here, but then again, part of the idea of making this was that I didn't really care for the opinions of a large number of people out there. In the end, I would rather get the good people that I've gotten than ten times as many ranting yobs.

That said, now I have to reach those people and get them coming back...I do believe there is likely a tipping point where we reach critical mass and it starts "rolling" on its own, but I'm not certain what or how many would do that.

So...looking for clues.
This has been another bit of brain shrapnel from...
SCOOTER :cool:
Professional Dilettante (reasonable rates) :thumb:
skramer@atlantic-computingREMOVETHIS.com

QotM: "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." – Hunter S. Thompson
scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Re: Attracting members

Post by scooter »

Apparently we had a user join overnight who was really into hare krishna and spouted some semi-coherent stuff. I wobbled on deleting him, because technically he really didn't break any rules, and perhaps a gentle nudge over to the Religion and Philosophy forum was what was needed - but really, I don't think he would have contributed too much here.

I'm also on the verge of deleting the Planet Nexus ads. They're not providing too much added value here.

There are a couple of things I'm going to do in the near future which might help: create a phone app that's just for the Forums, and make a "commercial" for the Forums on YouTube.

In the meantime...yep, still looking. :dunno:

QotM: "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." – Hunter S. Thompson
scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

I have some of those funny little cards with the forum's address. Where is a good place to leave a bunch?

Latest location is Mad City Coffee in Hickory Ridge...

scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

Wow.

Okay, this is impressive. Been around for 17 years. They have 50 registered users check in every day; they are closing in on a million posts. :shock:

The admin is on Forum Promotion and I read a bit of what he had to say; he doesn't get into the early years, but mentioned that in 2011, he was down to five users and it stayed that way until 2016. Suddenly it took off again. :eyebrow: The stuff he's mentioning is not anything special: he promoted on ProBoards, got members from affiliates; it happened gradually. And to be honest, it's a good board, but I don't see anything special in content.

The more I see, the less I understand.

ZandraJoi
Commander
Commander
United States of America

Post by ZandraJoi »

Forums are not as popular as they once were back in the day. Now, Social Media rules the roost. I had a forum some 15 years ago but the difference between then & now, my members didn't have their own forums. Present time, everybody has a forum & everybody is on everybody else's. It becomes like an assembly line. Even having a unique niche doesn't mean you'll get activity because of there being so many forums out there that nobody has the time.
scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

ZandraJoi wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:24 am Forums are not as popular as they once were back in the day. Now, Social Media rules the roost. I had a forum some 15 years ago but the difference between then & now, my members didn't have their own forums. Present time, everybody has a forum & everybody is on everybody else's. It becomes like an assembly line. Even having a unique niche doesn't mean you'll get activity because of there being so many forums out there that nobody has the time.
No, you're absolutely right - but I'm kind of coming to terms with that. I mean, I posted a lot on Twitter and I may do so again sometime - but it was one of those things where I had something like 500 "followers" and I'd post something and get 2 people liking or commenting. It felt like I was shouting into the void. This way, there are fewer people, but they are invested at least somewhat in what people are saying, which is why I market this forum as an alternative to the social media "giants". I try to encourage things that will promote a deeper connection (I guess that is the way to say it) instead of the more superficial, few-hundred-characters at a time on Twitter...that's why I have profile flair and other bits to customize your experience with. And slower growth with better people is fine with me. :thumb:

scooter
Administrator
Administrator
Ocean City

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by scooter »

Number of members we wished to get in December of 2021: 18 (IOW, bring us up to 50 members)
Number of members we actually got: 0

Safe to say that this was a failure. :cry:

WolfofWords
Pirate
House: Ravenclaw

Fandoms

Arts & Crafts

Sports

Lifestyle

Post by WolfofWords »

These things are hard to predict.